More Depower / Less Depower settings

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2013-10-31

PM

Can somebody please explain in what circumstances one would use the less depower setting?  I usually just fly my kites using more depower because I don’t see an advantage of having less depower.  And honestly I can’t really tell that much of a difference between the two anyway.  How do these settings affect the kite?  Does one setting go upwind better?  Better for gusts?  Better for wave riding?  Etc.  Thanks!

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

Buried in the Support link up the top is a manual for the old kites that explains what the front- and rear-line connection points do… it mentions what the combinations do with regard to depower and upwindability, etc. I can never remember the details…

Why have less depower? To keep the kite powered :D
Since I got my OR kite with the OR Freeride bar - with the stopper - I’ve gone right off bar systems like Cabrinha that almost completely depower the kite when you let the bar right out… like, when you let it go to spin the bar. With less depower (either kite AoA setting or stopper-limited bar travel) the kite is less inclined to fall out of the sky, remains controllable, and is more “on” all the time.

I don’t know your level, but these days I’m enjoying kites being more powered all the time and not flapping and falling when I let go the bar.

Since nobody else has replied, I’d add some IIRC points:
Gusts - you should control the power with the board - edge hard, drive the kite low and forward (to the edge) of the window. If you can’t, you probably need a smaller kite…
Waves - I think you need a shorter, more on/off depower so you can sheet out, noodle around then BANG you’re back on the power and can whip the kite around, without having to finesse j-u-s-t the right amount of travel.

Total Posts: 572

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

When given the option of two settings I’ve experimented between them and found that I like the less depower option to juice my kite at the low end and therefore improve its low end. When windy I use the more depower option. Can’t say I’ve really noticed any difference in bar pressure between the two settings. I have a 7m Rise from 2010 as my strong wind kite. This kite doesn’t give me the option it having only one set of pigtails at the front.

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

Played with similar setting on my Crossbow 13 today - noticed slightly better turning, a teeny-weeny bit less depower (but more prone to back-stall) and a little more bar pressure. Noticeably less upwind ability though, which sucked. So going back to the “lightest” bar setting and just live with slightly vague handling…

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

I think the more depower/less depower is an underutilized option that provides an increase in range and use of each kite. I generally use the less depower settings, which as Andy has already said, especially increases the low-end power of the kite. On the 2013 8m razor for instance it makes a significant difference as I switch them back and forth. The high depower setting is useful to soften the kite especially in big gusty conditions or for someone who just prefers that softer feel, but again I prefer the less depower setting and more direct feel.  FYI I’m on a quad surf 90% of the time and trying to use the smallest kite possible. If it’s blowing hard and your kite size choices are rather big,  use the more depower setting.  I know many people have never taken it off the more depower setting…but it is worth experimenting with as it takes 30 seconds to switch.

Signature