2014 razors

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2013-07-12

PM

Was anything changed besides the colors and reduction of rear tow points? I don’t see how this kite could get better.

I love the razor, i really want an 8m, but can’t justify selling my other brand kite for it now, have to wait till that kite is destroyed.  Ocean rodeo isn’t a big brand where I ride, people look at my kite as an alien with the leading edge zig zag and vents, i tell them its the most magical kite i have ever ridden.  Ive done huge jumps and just started getting into kite loops, my secret is the kite! It just wants you to ride so aggressively…especially the 10m on 20m lines

Gripes:
there is no pump holder on the bag, its annoying carrying it to the beach in my hand…
Pulleys, I hate them, fine sand always gets them stuck, go to the ronstan shock blocks or something similar with the sleeved bridle lines, if you could do a fixed bridle that would be great, but i have a feeling that its not possible retaining the kites performance

I have inverted the kite in the waves a couple of times, but it just bounces back, even though it looks like a rats nest, my kite has ended up in a tree with no holes due to me ejecting from a death loop and I pretty much tomahawk at least once a session, thanks for making a rugged kite, although the 12m is a little heavy for light winds, but I rather have a rugged kite…

Total Posts: 29

Joined 2011-09-03

PM

jespin4845 - 01 December 2013 03:47 AM

Gripes:
there is no pump holder on the bag, its annoying carrying it to the beach in my hand…

Yeah, a couple of bungy straps like on the Epic bags would solve the pump problems - but (assuming the 2014 bags are like my 2013 Flite bags) they are very nice and slick to travel with…

Total Posts: 124

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

jespin4845 - 01 December 2013 03:47 AM

Was anything changed besides the colors and reduction of rear tow points? I don’t see how this kite could get better.
Gripes:
Pulleys, I hate them, fine sand always gets them stuck, go to the ronstan shock blocks or something similar with the sleeved bridle lines, if you could do a fixed bridle that would be great, but i have a feeling that its not possible retaining the kites performance

Jespin,

We tend to agree with you… in addition to removing a rear attachment point, we have also change the inflate valve to accomodate larger airflow - your pump now can go over top of the valve instead of inside it, meaning greater flow. Fits all pump styles too.

Also note, the new Razor is not actually a 2014! Just like the Prodigy, the Razor is moving to a generational approach. Why?? As you know, we don’t want to mess with a kite too often, so we want to wait until we have a few changes that are worth making (even if they are not huge). This also helps hold up the value of kites 2nd hand… if you have a current generation (even if 2 years on) in good shape, it’s not utterly worthless like a 2 year old lightly used kite that says 2012 on it now.

We also made some minor sewing changes with the aim of improving durability and strength.

Pulleys… understand the sentiment. We have experimented plenty with the ronstan sliders and other options… nothing is satisfactorily better than the pulleys we have - you trade one problem for another or even 2 or 3 more. We are happy to stick with the problems w se at least know rather than trade them for new ones. In the mean time we will keep experimenting and looking for better stuff as always!

Fixed bridle… you’re right… no pulleys will limit/change the kite’s performance a lot. We would have an uproar on our hands of people saying “You ruined the Razor!” which is not something we are going to risk!

Pump holder… I just stuff mine in my kite bag. I have a bar in the side, a pump with the kite, along with boots, gloves, and sometimes even my harness. It’s bulge-y but it works.

Hope I answered your questions!

Cheers
Ned - OR

Total Posts: 19

Joined 2013-07-12

PM

Thanks for the info Ned, I appreciate it