Old bar new kite

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2006-06-29

PM

Will an ocean rodeo SLE bar (see attachment) work with a 2013 Flite?  If so, will it fully enable the Direct De-power system?

Also, can anyone tell me why OR went with a white leading edge on the 2014 Flite and Prodigies? I’d consider getting one, but I can’t get past how filthy it’s going to look after a few encounters with dirt.

Image Attachments

oceanrodeoslebar.jpg

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Gargaza, I thought the same regarding the white LE, and I beat my kites pretty severely to be honest, but the white does not hold dirt in per say. I did get blood on it one time (don’t ask), but all of it washes out pretty easy. More importantly the white LE stays cooler, and I like the look of it.

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

How many years riding do you have on your SLE bar?  I would guess that the majority of the SLE bars remaining out there would be in need of some serious maintenance now, such as: line replacement, trim line replacement, swivel replacement, and chicken loop replacement.

By the time that you replace those parts, you will be looking at roughly the price of adding a new bar to your kite.  Bars are only $330 when ordering a kite complete.  To me it just makes sense to add a bar to any kite purchase.

White leading edges do not heat up as much and as a result we’ve seen very few explosions over the past two years.  Most people who expressed concern over the white LE getting dirty have since reported that this was not the case.  You will see that on the new Razor, the area closest to the wing tips are black again.  This is where we saw the most dirt and so we should see a reduction in dirt while maintaining the benefits of the lower temp LE.

I have to admit that I like graphics on kites, it matters to me, I was really pumped when I saw the white LE kites come out, they look pretty damn good IMO.  The new Razor is my favorite looking kite out there right now and the LE really adds to its look.

-Todd

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

If the bar & attachments are in good shape just replace the trim line (http://store.oceanrodeo.com/Replacement-Trim-Line_p_58.html) with a long piece to equal the throw of the http://www.oceanrodeo.com/products/freeride-bar then add a piece of thinner spectra to each turning line @ the bar ends so all lines are equal. O.R. used to sell a kit for this.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-06-29

PM

I have both short-line and long-line SLE bars which means individually they only see about half the wear and tear of owning a single bar. Both are in very good shape and I like the option to swap line lengths quickly. I’m on a tight budget, so there’s no way I’m going to buy two new bars.

Thanks for the info on modifying the line lengths Guru. Anyone know how long the center line is on the fusion? I usually make my own, but I suppose I can find out by buying one.

I’ll reconsider the white leading edge.

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

I still use one of these bars from a past 2009 6m Rise. It’s one of the 40cm ones. I upgraded it: new chicken loop and roll-over bridle kit (extra length trim line and replacement leader lines.) Use it with my 2010 7m Rise (with roll-over bridle upgrade)
I rinse it after every session and as it is my higher wind bar (used only with smaller kite) the lines are all still in good nick.
People sometimes comment on how small it is - I’m referring to the bar!

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2006-06-29

PM

Thanks everyone for your input, but I ended up biting the bullet and ordering a 2014 14.5m Flite and Fusion bar. I can’t wait! Is there anything that makes us quite as anxious as waiting for a brand new kite to be delivered?

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Yes. Waiting for wind

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…