Rise 10/13m, Razor 10/12m?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2014-03-30

PM

Hi, I am 70kg and am looking to buy my first (second hand) kite. I have the option of 10m and 13m Rise (2011) and 10m and 12m Razors. I have a 142 JTpro board and normal winds here are 10-25kts.  I have read much here about them and all seem to be good options, but it would be nice if you could give me some advice in my particular case.  I am a beginner too, but have read the Razor should not be ruled out for beginners.
Thanks,
S

Total Posts: 516

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

Hi,
1st of all, the 10, 12 and 13 will all give you a hand full in 25 knots but it can be done. I have owned 2 out of three kites you mention (slightly different vintage) and at 100kg, the range for the 10m Rise up to high twenties gusting low thirties, for you that would more be like mid twenties / high twenties.
great kite! lwo end should open up at 16/17 knots depending skills, boards etc.
The 13m Rise, I have the 2010 version, got a long lasting love affair going with it. Session saver! Should get you going 13 ish up to 20 depending on ball size.
The 12m Razor will give you the same low end, practically the same range as the 13m Rise. Not the easiest to fly, requires attention but certainly among the most powerful kites out there, you’ll max out at 24knots.

It’s not clear to me if you’re planning on getting the three, the 12 and 13 are overlapping too much. I’d pick the Razor, more fun than the Rise, although somewhat more difficult to boost. In waves and big chop, Razor. Great downlooping kite!
For a 3 kite quiver maybe add in a 7m Prodigy, there was a nice closeout on these recently.

For 2nd hand OR kites, basic construction should not be a worry but check for small holes (easy to patch with the repair kit, should be in the bag). If they have serious mileage, check the bridle insert lines where the pulleys run. Usually you can reverse these lines, swap the worn side for the unused side.
The bar, depending on the type (hopefully the curved bar), check the center hole for sharp bits and round them with a file if needed. If the center lines are too fluffy, replace. Check if the lines are evenly long, grease up the swivel and enjoy!

Hope this helps, let us know what you do, cheers,
Rudo

Joined 2014-03-30

PM

Rudo, thanks for the info. 

I was checking with windguru and on three sites I visit the averages this week are 18 (25 gusts), 20 (29 gusts) and 12 (16 gusts).  This is the good season and the place I visit the most is the last one, with 12 knt averages.

I think I would really need at least two kite quiver, but I am starting with one. I have read the Rise is better for two kite quivers.

From what you say i think the 13m would be quite good in 13-20 kts and easier to fly. I was hoping to be able to get going in a little less wind with it.

Now, with a two kite quiver in mind it would be very helpful te know how kites would complement each other. As a summary, what would the ranges be for me (70kg, 142 JTpro, “normal” range):

Rise
7m
8m
10m
13m

Prodigy
7m

Razor
7m
10m
12m

Thanks again,
S.

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

hi,
if these are the options, the Rise 13 would be my pick. 12kts is going to be impossible though unless you board up (Mako King or (yuck) door style). It’s going to be hard to relaunch your kite in 12 kts though, better wait for something 14+. Otherwise it can be frustrating.
Makes sure your quiver has a 10 or 9,5, the to go size.
Such light conditions look more like Flytes, I have never flown one though.
good luck,
Rudo

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I’d say start with the 10 RAZOR.  If you become a strapless rider then the prodigy is the way to go. Meanwhile you will find the speed of the 10 RAZOR allows you to generate enough grunt to kite in 15+ knot winds.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2014-03-30

PM

Thinking about 10m and a second one for lighter winds.  It would be either the 13m Rise, the 15m Flite, the 15m LW Rise or the 17.5m Flite.
Any comment on the differences between the two flites and the 15m LW rise?

Joined 2008-04-13

PM

I go with JL for the 10m Razor as most fun go-to kite that will cause days of permagrin… Can’t comment on the light wind kites. Spoiled in Holland… I hear the last Flites are the bomb but not sure about budgets…

Joined 2014-03-30

PM

double post…

Joined 2014-03-30

PM

I am certainly getting the 10m, but either the Razor or the Rise.  I am pretty aware the Razor gets most approval now, but the ease and long smooth hangtime of the Rise (in 2012 version) appeals me at this moment more than the catapult/flipping capacity of the Razor…
On the 10m’s, there is a good offer in a 2012 Rise and a Razor 2011, while there is too a Razor 2013 but for 2x the $$.
Regarding the LW kites, I have good offers on a used Rise 13m (2011), Rise LW 15m (2011) and Flite 15m (2012).

Total Posts: 79

Joined 2009-02-20

PM

not sure where you’re located, but a ton of used OR kites here for pretty cheap
http://www.windance.com/Used-Gear-Used-Kites/