Freestyle Bar Setup

Total Posts: 182

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

I’ve asked OR about this, but I just wanted to check with everyone else - has anyone experienced significantly less power with the new Freestyle bar compared to a Fusion/Freeride bar? I really like the layout of the new bar and above the bar trim, but I’ve had it out for 3 sessions and noticed a lack of power. The first session was gusty and I thought maybe the new 8m just lacked a bit of power. The 2nd session was solid 15 knots on a 12m and it felt light, but I thought it could be a mix of current or just that I hadn’t been out in awhile.

Yesterday however, solid 17 - 20 knots, everyone out on 9’s and 10’s and it felt like I was riding a 12m in 14 knots, no power to jump, just mowing the lawn. So, on a whim, I switched back to my Fusion bar, and instantly it felt like I jumped up 2m in size, the kite was much more powerful. I have no clue as to why.

Little background - the 10m is a 2013, I’m set up on the fast/more depower setup on all of my kites. I used the furthest knot (longest lines) on the freestyle bar, and the 2nd knot on the fusion bar (I’ve always had it setup that way). I’ve been kiting for 5 years, and on OR kites for 4 of them.

Any ideas? The kite still turned well, etc. with the Freestyle bar, just lacked power. Has anyone else experienced this? I’d hate for a newbie to think the kite is weak because of something with the bar.

Total Posts: 284

Joined 2006-11-22

PM

The power should be identical as with any bar is the line lengths are the same. I suggest having a look at the line lengths and adusting them. Just lay out the bar and lines and insure that you have even lines (without the line extensions) when you are at full depower.

Signature

Core XR3 12M
Rise XPD 9M
Mako King
Mako Classic
Mako Wide

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Yeah, lines were shorter by 3m, OR is sorting me out with some extensions.

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2014-05-11

PM

I just got a 2014 OR Flite with a 2014 Freestyle bar.
The bar was used as a demo bar at a dealer recently, but it shouldn’t have seen a lot of time yet because it’s the 2014 version.
I was checking out the tuning of the lines on the bar—overall I like the layout and composure of everything, especially the over-the-bar de-power with the line-cleat. 
The de-power line has a built-in bungy in the center of it to keep the line from swinging around; IMO a great design feature.
The exterior nylon line is already showing some signs of surface-fraying (its not bad, just noticing some wear there already).
=>> Does anybody know if the de-power line is ‘higher-wear’ item, and, how difficult it is to remove and replace (when needed) ??
Thanks,—Michael

Signature

RIDING  ON  MAKO  FREERIDE  TWINTIPS  —  BOOSTS  MY  CONFIDENCE

Total Posts: 128

Joined 2007-03-19

PM

RebelRyder - 01 June 2014 10:47 PM

The exterior nylon line is already showing some signs of surface-fraying (its not bad, just noticing some wear there already).
=>> Does anybody know if the de-power line is ‘higher-wear’ item, and, how difficult it is to remove and replace (when needed) ??
Thanks,—Michael

Good question. The answer is yes… any line being adjusted and subjected to frequent friction is going to wear faster and this one is certainly no different. The bungee does give the appearance of wearing faster, but in our testing it seems to wear at about the same rate as a standard trim line. Given this, you should expect to replace it fairly regularly.

When it starts to wear, swap it out. It’s a cheap part and a lot more fun to switch in 10 minutes than to be swimming in with a broken bar for an hour!

Remember, bars are like cars… they need regular attention and maintenance to perform their best. A small amount of time and money keeps them safe and working well for years.

Ned - OR

Joined 2008-11-09

PM

Ned is the bungee line something that you can purchase from a marine store, or is it something we would need to get from you guys?

I haven’t paid much attention to it since I just started riding the bar again with extensions (which worked perfect today).

One other question - I’m noticing that the inside lines will get tangled above the swivel after i crash. I’m guessing it slacks up enough so that the twists in the depower line translate to above the swivel, any solution to this?

Any plans for some sort of swivel that automatically removes the twists like the Core bar, etc.

I have an issue with it because I generally only spin in one direction.