2011 Razor 8m problem

Total Posts: 98

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

I have been using the Razors for the last 4 years, very familiar with them. I recently bought a 2011 used 8m Razor. In gusty winds it will fold in the wing tips and excessively luff when really loaded up. I am 210 lbs. and kite in the Gorge. I pump my small kites to 8.2 psi. It acts like it is underinflated but is not. Thinking about going to 9 psi. It steers in a balanced manner and is fine except in gusty really powered up conditions. I had another 2011 8m Razor that didn’t do this. Going to measure bridle segments and compare to a friends 8m 2011. Looking for advice on what to look for and were there any bridle issue with some of the 2011’s? Thanks for any help!

Total Posts: 43

Joined 2013-01-15

PM

Hi Pete,
my first thought is try a little more air in that kite.  You’re not little and smaller kites like more PSI.  A helpful tip would be to hold the LE of the kite when inflating it and then press the wing tip down on the ground.  If the LE is folding then add more air.

From there, it is very possible that the dacron is “tired” like an old pair of jeans. 

If the kite is still pretty new and sort of crispy, it’s possible that the previous owner was a chronic under inflator and created a crease in the fabric near the bridle attachment point(s). 

In a separate email I sent you the measurements for the bridle on your 2011 8m Razor.

Todd

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Thanks Todd, will try all those things and report back.. Nice to chat with you earlier. Got the measurements, is there a diagram of the points on the website?

Joined 2008-05-03

PM

Measured the segments and not the same as the original specs, off by quite a bit. Todd is going to check with designer, waiting for advice. I bought this kite used and wonder if the original owner was aware of any issues. It flys ok except it gusty powered conditions. Might not notice it if a lighter weight person was using it. Bought it on consignment, don’t know the seller. Very impressed with the immediate response of Todd at OR!