200 lbs (91kg) 16m & 12m or 16m & 9m ONE?????

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-10-26

PM

Hey everyone,

Looking for a bit of info from those of you that have a 2 kite quiver.  Already have a ‘06 16m ONE and looking at getting a 12m, but started thinking if these 2 kites would overlap too much.  I consider myself still a beginner, and having a hard time deciding.  We can get winds up to 40+ mph (35+ kts) but realistically high wind days would be 25-35mph (22-31kts).  I have had my 16m in gusts to 25mph on snow before, but just short bursts.  So my dilemma is adding a 12m or a 9m?

Thoughts???

Thanks!!

Signature

Jason
Anchorage, AK

2006 16m & 12m One (w/bridal mod)
2006 Legend Board
Pyro Pro

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I think a 3 kite quiver would be better. Start by adding the 12 ONE (good deals on 06 with mod #2… Later if you have the need try the 9. (@175 I have a 9 & 12 BUT still use a 14C (bronco) for light wind…Eventually you should sell the 16 & pick up a big C (maybe a 18 or 21 Diablo) or the new ‘RISE’. The reason I say this is that the 16 ONE was designed to be a big guys one quiver kite NOT a light wind kite. Sorry if I’ve blown your budget. Shop shrewdly & you should be O.K. Jim. .Read Craigs threads. Hes a big guy & he is all over the equipment.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

If your high wind days are like that, you could even go 16/7, but the 9m is probably the best choice. If you are still in the learning process you don’t really want to go out in 40 plus. Shit happens very fast in these winds.
The 9m is a very powerful kite for its size. I can stay upwind easily in 20, and start jumping big in 25. At 35 this thing is really wound up and pops big and hard.

Choosing a quiver is not easy, it has to work for you and your local conditions.

For me the 21 and 14 diablos, in the low end of the wind range, 25 and under are working fantastic. I’ve been trying other kites and nothing flys like the diablo, the 3 power modes really give you some nice options in tuning the kite to specific conditions and riding style.
When the winds get heavy, the 9m one has been a real sweetheart,
thats why I call her my Southern Belle.

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

I got to agree with Craig - and have a similar quiver to him. I’m 185 lbs I just got a 9m One and 14m diablo -at the moment i’ve only tried them on snow - the One works great for the days 15knots and over upto about 33 knots is the max i’ve used it.  I really like the added confidence it gives me compared to my bronco 12 i used to use in similar conditions - where i was a bit too lit.

Having the 9m one in strong, denser winter winds, you can adjust it to make it like a 9m; and when you want more power you can adjust it to pull like an 11 or 12m C kite just about - the 9m One has really expanded my wind range.

I think also that as you progress you will enjoy the added speed of 9m more as it gives you more options for pushing your kiting skills to a higher level.

I think you are right - the 12 One will be too close to your 16m.  Like Johnz has said - the 12 one is more like a 14m Warroo for power/speed.

I’ve only used it twice, but when it comes to summer i will use my Diablo 14m much more on the water - again like Craig i think the Daib is such a sweet kite - pops insanely and flys so fantastically well .

Havent got a name for MY 9m but maybe windF..cker!  cause she’s really showing me how to kick some seriously nasty f@#!king wind.! Bad analogy buy you get my drift ...

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2006-03-03

PM

Ya I’d agree, I’d add a 9m.  I weigh a little over 200lbs depending on my in take of pizza. I love this kite, fast, powerful, superb hangtime. Low end is very good and really eats gusts in the top end.

I have the 9 & 12M Ones. In hindsight, they are too close together. I am trying to negotiate with the wife to get a 14 or 16m Diablo to add to the quiver as I miss as fast moving C-kite. Will keep the 12m One for waves as you can never have too many kites…

Lester rolleyes

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I’ll throw my 2 cents in here too!

All above advice is spot on. The only thing I will correct is that we, infact, did totally re-design the 16m 07 One (and the new 14m) to be a light wind machine for this year…last year’s 16m One was built for big riders, this year’s works for big riders but it also works for lighter guys in lighter winds!

Welcome to the crew Fire Fighter!

John Z

Total Posts: 11

Joined 2006-10-26

PM

Aweome, thanks guys!!

Thanks everyone for the input!!  Had a killer session snow kiting outside Anchorage, Alaska on Saturday.  There were 12 kites, that?s a ton for up here, as it’s just taking hold, and all sorts too!  SS Diesel, SS Ranger, Ozone Accesses, Peter Lynn, Windwing, and some others I couldn’t id.  And of Course me on my ‘06 16m ripping it up (only one out there with OR gear, trying to sell everyone on it).  Love that I can just pull in the depower a bit when the winds get up and going.

I decided to go with the 06 12m One, got a good deal on it (and 2 bridal mods), figure I’ll work my way up to the 9m and higher winds.  I have had my 16m out in gusts to 25mph, but say the average high end I have been out in was around 18mph so far.  So a 12m should allow me to get out in a bit higher winds and have some fun.  Can’t wait until summer so I can get out on the water, but loving the snowkiting with them, got the relaunch/selflaunch down pat!

I?ll see how these 2 do after this summer and see about picking up one of those new Rise, looks like a sweet kite (and probably a 9 One..lol)!!!

Thanks Guys!!

Signature

Jason
Anchorage, AK

2006 16m & 12m One (w/bridal mod)
2006 Legend Board
Pyro Pro