Jumping 16m One 2006

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Well I’m about ready to jump now, any tips on how to start with the big kite.  I’m assuming build speed edge hard throw the kite and hope for the best.  Any suggestion would be greatly appreciated this will be on snow of course.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

1. Listen to the ‘podcast’.        2. (Keeping in mind I’m a lousy jumper !!!) With the ‘ONE’ start by having your bar/cleat set up so that your cruising with the bar about 6” away from being sheeted all the way in but nicely powered. Sheet in the last 6” for air. With the one it’s that easy. Keep sheeted in for a soft landing !                    http//www.asnewswire.com/podcasts/podcast67.mp3

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Jumper

Dude,

Ride along on your strongest tack, make sure there is no one near you, As your on a one have it at about 10.30 -11 oclock as its easier to send when higher.

Keep riding in the same direction, dont hestitate and look at the kite just keep a decent solid speed, when you are ready, edge a little harder and pull your back hand to send the kite in the opposite direction, (at this point you will either send to hard or soft but theres only one way to find out) its important to hold the bar and not panic and let it out (you will drop like a stone)! 

Now a couple of things for the jump, 1. make sure you edge harder or you will just be pulled forward off your edge. 2. Send the kite and keep the direction of your tack, this will give you more height. 3. Dont panic and let out the bar. 4. you will feel like your being pulled off the water, try to push off at the same time.

Now, mid jump, keep the bar steady, dont let it out, once on your way up, redirect the kite over your head, look at it, and look forward, as you start to drop, get ready to redirect the kite back down to 10 oclock.

Make sure you land with your board pointing forward towards the kite as this will make an easier landing, when landed re engage your edge and get back upwind asap.

The first few are always a little sketchy but hey, themore you do the better you get.

Keep us posted.

Ben

Should look like this:

Note, bar pulled in, glancing up to check kite before diving it.

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Remember he’s on snow !!! I had a bad habit of not bringing the kite back ahead of me (landing) & flying under my kite. Ross H. (O.R.) suggests keeping your forward hand near the end of the bar & your rear hand near the center. Then If (like me) your eyes are shut you will still turn the kite forward. It worked for me. Have fun.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Ahh what an idiot!! That took me ages to write aswell hehe!

OK well similar principle but the water is colder.

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

To get the best out of the 16 One 06 you need the mod kit. If you haven’t already done it, its real easy and brings the 16 alive with no negatives apart from longer bridles .

Come to think of it there is one negative because the kite moves faster you get more boost so need more down wind space plus on some jumps it may be worth taking your lunch with you.

Just hold that bar in and say your prayers.

Total Posts: 315

Joined 2006-04-02

PM

Thanks everyone, just have to wait for a little wind now, next good day, I’ll be trying it, I’ll certainly keep you posted.

Jason

Signature

Kiting is great can’t wait to retire so I can do it full time.  Bring on the wind.