OK PEOPLE, SUGGESTIONS PLEASE

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

I have a dilema!

What quiver shall I get???? What would you guys in the UK like to be riding from OR the most.

I am about 10st 10 depending on weekly pie intake, intermediate to advanced capability, I have just sold my ones. What is the perfect UK Quiver for me, including board. The old Jaime pro is going too!

Think, budget too. I want the best for me and the minimum cost.

This year I rode my 9m one up to about 37mph gusting to lots and it was relatively uncomfortable, this happenned on several occasions too. This ranges right down to the summer months when sea breezes are pretty lame and I have been struggling on a 15m.

All suggestions are greatfully received.

Cheers.

Ben
Your friendly local OR tech rep.

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The boards easy. It has to be the Mako Pro 134 real smooth holds an edge well and will still go in the light. I could go on.

If you are on a bugget a 2 kite quiver is what you need I would look at a 12m One and a 7m one.

The 12 will go in real light winds with an old surfboard.

Anyone carring a few to many beers should look at a 14m 9m One combo

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Choosing a quiver is not easy.
Where do you want to go next?

The One’s are designed as a one kite quiver.
Go as small as you can for your high wind kite, a 7m.

The new rise might work better as a friendly 2 kite quiver.

If you are ready for advanced flying, this is my ultimate-
An 18m, 12m and 8m diablo quiver.
Each one has 3 distinct flying set ups so you can tune the kite for each days unique conditions, from bow like depower to the monster truck mode. No bridles. Super easy to self launch and land with 5 lines.
No one will jump higher than you with these, and kite loops are absolutely amazing! Imagine downlooping your kite when its 20 feet off the water…these kites can do it easily.
These f’krs will change the way you fly a kite, period.

The mako 134 is a very good choice too, fast and smooth-
but I get the feeling the Zen has the best “pop”

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Cheers Craig

Cheers Craig.

I’m only 70kgs so I was thinking.

Either 7M One or 8M rise (concerned re availability of the rise as off to Egypt in May.)

12M Diablo

and

16M Diablo.

I want to start doing bigger stuff and riding fast kites again. Kiteloops etc…

The mako pro seems like the best option for the nasty choppy uk waters but I want to be able to ride more freestyle styles so I am also thinking towards the 135 Zen. Thats a tough one!

Will the 16m be too big? should i go 10m Diablo and 14M diablo???

That is a 4M2 gap, in all honesty, wil i get uncomfortable in the differrence in wind range?? I know that there is quite a lot of ground between my old 11 and 15m fuels!

Craig, I noticed an old post of yours with a North vegas or rhino next to your Diablo, the diablo looked huge in comparison, Are OR kites sized differrently, I.E will a 14M diablo be actually bigger than my 15M fuel?? Also, how do they compare speedwise to the fuels, I need some comparison as I think I will be the first to own a Diablo in the UK.

Cheers for your feedback dude, you seem like the Diablo Guru.

Ben

Signature

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I think the 16m/12m Diablo might be a good choice at your weight.
I could take my 21m into 25 knots, so the 16m should handle high’r winds beautifully.
I am leaning that way too, but am undecided between the 18 and 16.
That was an 07’ 14m vegas in my old post
My 06’ 14m is about the same size as a 05’ 17m fuel.

Speed wise, these kites are similar until you get to the edge.
The diablo seems a bit faster at the edge and definately is stronger.

There is a maniac team rider for slingshot by the name of Gator out here who stretched out and destroyed 3-12m fuels this last year. Three!
Slingshot won’t give him boards anymore, he’s broken every one.
I’m working on getting him to try a diablo this year, but I bite my nails everytime I think about it. No one boosts as high as this guy or crashes as hard. He loves being brutalized.

[/url]

>

here is a shot of the gator with his custom board, he’s about to pull the trigger on a kite loop!

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

I cant beleive how much bigger the OR kites are!

Is that the A-Team van in the background?

If the 14m Diablo is the size of the 17m fuel I will need something smaller, why are they so differrent in size.

Oh and what board? Mako pro or Zen, The Zen looks coolerer but the mako is supposed to be groundbreaking, hmm choices choices

Cheers for you help Craig.

Ben

Signature

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

@ 70 kg. / 154pounds / 11 stone ... A 7M ‘ONE’ would be better for those high winds…A 12M ‘DIABLO’ would provide the speed for those tricks you mentioned. A 16M ‘DIABLO’ would provide low wind ‘GRUNT’ yet still be quick !!! With a release date of May the ‘Rise’ is not an option for you this year…If you have not listened yet this       http//www.asnewswire.com/podcasts/podcast67.mp3               explains the O.R. kites. Remember only the ‘ONE’ is marketed as a kite with a massive range, the DIABLO has proven to be rangy when different attachment points are used, the RISE has depower (bridle) but is being marketed for those that like the ‘C’ feel. ( think ‘torque’ not high horsepower only @ speed like a HONDA ). Board choice the smaller ‘MAKO’ will be lively. (see Craig’s posts) the ‘150 MAKO’ is stickier (on rails, no skipping sideways) yet a chop eater & wave machine….Myself I use the 150 MAKO. The 9 & 12M ONEs (06 with mod. #2) & a 14M BRONCO for those ‘Ride & Hike’ sessions. I’m holding out for a 14 or 16M ‘RISE’ to replace the BRONCO as I enjoy the safety factor of full depower in our local conditions.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Don’t be fooled by size Ben.
The 06’ 14m is not more powerful than a 16m C.
Its more like a 15m for me. It has amazing high end though.
I think the 16m, with the right board, will get you on the water in lite conditions with out being too heavy to fly through the air. The key is matching speed with the kite quickly (pointing downwind to build momentum, then pointing high)

I haven’t tried the 07’ diablo’s yet, but if the canopy refinements are as good as the 07’ 12m One, than I anticipate that its going to pull like a “wall of traction”.

The 07’ 12m One I tried this year felt like it had the low end of a 16m and the high end of a 10m C. Faster than the 06’s too. This could easily be a One kite, 2 board quiver for me.

Here is another quiver I’ve been thinking about-

A 14m and 7m One.

Man, its so tough to decide…everything is so good!

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

Hey Ben,

Your thoughts look familiar! I had similar dilemmas when getting my kites recently. I didn’t think i needed 3 kites after my using my 12m bronco kite in all conditions except the exteme high wind days.  The light wind days i used a bigger board.

You could think about 3 kites 1 board or 2 kites 2 boards ... I wanted to try cover my range with 2 kites,and my 9m One and 14m Diablo just mean i use each one more - the one is really good cause it covers the higher range of the wind better which is often very gusty here - and the Diablo from 12knots up to maybe 18 so far but not sure yet… is really, really sweet. So i feel there is good coverage for both and I weigh 185 lbs.  For those super light days i have my faithful plywood board.  Being able to fly both kites which take different flying and boardriding techniques i also like, though in the beginning i was sceptical of getting onto the One. But haven’t looked back.
The 14 Diablo in constant winds is AWESOME - drives like your Chunnel train !!! Jumps and lands and boosts and pops sooooo easily - . very stable - my favourite. And i think its going to become my trusty steed this summer in the 15 - 20ish knot range, but its yet to go to its full potential in higher winds for me - the depower like Craig says is really good and since you’ve flown fuels you will love the Diablo whatever size.

My Zen is great too. But i still haven’t seen a direct comparison with the mako 134….

Mark

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2007-01-10

PM

hi ben

if you want to give my 07 12m one a go sometime give me a yell and we can hook up one weekend….you have my contact details

dan