Pricing Question and Sizing Info Requested

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2007-06-01

PM

Morning all, first post here!

I have decided to buy my first OR kite!

I have the oppertunity to buy a brand new 2006 OR One 16m with a 2007 SLE bar and 2007 bridle conversion for $650. Good deal?

I am a beginner, started last season. I have been flying 2005 Gaastra Force kites. I weigh about 186-190 and normally fly in winds from 10-20kts. Think the kite size is ok for me?

Thanks!

Signature

Shane
East Coast - Boston/Cape Cod
2006 OR One 12m
Naish MTX 132

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

The 16 One is a power house and at your weight and experence I would say a little big. Try and look for a 14 or if the wind is normaly nearer the 20 knott mark look at a 12 One or Rise .
Hope you find one as once I got my first OR kite I havn’t looked back

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Nooborkiter, welcome to the Crew!

It’s awesome that you are considering our gear and I have to agree with Sunrise that you will likely never look back. That being said I also agree with Sunrise that the 16m One from last year is a massive kite with a lot of pull but was designed for a heavier man to use. I’d put you in a 14 from this year or, preferably, a 12m of either generation.

If you get the 12m from last year be sure to get it with the bridle modification and you’ll be a happy camper!

Cheers,

JohnZ

Joined 2007-06-01

PM

Thanks for the feedback guys, and the welcome.

I was looking for the 12m originally, but I second guessed myself. The Gaastra I used last year was a 16m and I didn’t get to fly that often because of a lack of wind. I spend about 50% of my kiting time last season slogging on the 16m. I only had to use my 14m a few times. Could I get the 12m One up in the same wind as a 16m (or ideally 18m) C-shape?

I am a former competitive windsurfer, so I like being overpowered rather than underpowered.

Signature

Shane
2006 OR One 12m
Naish MTX 132

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

The One kites have a ton of power and if you used to windsurf you will be all over these kites as you need to be (or rather, can be) so active with the trim and really “fly” the kite to generate power.

Develop some good down wind speed to get going and to develop apparent wind speed and then start pointing up wind and you will be in love with the kite.

JZ

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I think you should avoid the o6 16M’ONE’ not because of it’s size but because (as John says) it’s was engineered for big guys. For 07 the 14 &16; M ‘ONE’ kites are designed for us average size people to be light wind marvels.      http://www.oceanrodeo.com/oneLightWind.php        So ideally last years 12 ‘ONE’ would be good for 15-30 knots ( less on a floaty board) & hold out for the 07 ‘ONE’ 14 or 16 & consider the ‘RISE’.

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Hey Jimmy - we love you man! Thanks for the help brother!

Here’s a tip for you! Your signature in your profile can feature URL tags. Wrap the Big Wave Dave address you have in your signature in url tags and it will become “active”. Or, better yet use this code and it will look even cooler:

[url=http://bigwavedave.ca/][b] Big Wave Dave[/b][/url] Your One Stop Weather Site For S. Vancouver Island! 

Will make this:

Big Wave Dave Your One Stop Weather Site For S. Vancouver Island!

John Z - working the magic like it ain’t no thing!

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Thanks John. My error was a sloppy html address.  When can I try out a 14M ‘RISE’ ?!

Signature

Joined 2007-06-01

PM

Thanks for all the feeback guys! I am goign to start the quest to find a ‘06 One 12m.

Signature

Shane
2006 OR One 12m
Naish MTX 132

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Jimmy, it is insane the amount of grunt the Rise produces. I was at Nitnat this weekend with the 8m in 25-30 knot winds and was getting seriously pulled around. Mark F, all 210lbs of him, came in because he was over powered on the 10m Rise.

Give me a call anytime you’re heading out and if I can meet you I will bring a Rise for you to ride. I would say though that if you think you need a 14 you should try a 10 or a 12 first.

JZ

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Thanks…I’m looking for a light 8-15 knot ride…I’ve got the 9 & 12 M ‘ONE’s for the top end ... I had a great Gordos weekend ... 15-25 knots on the 12M One) was sweet.

Signature

Total Posts: 20

Joined 2006-10-01

PM

my first rise trys

hey Jimmy tried a friends brand new rise at cook yesterday, i heard of the grunt it had more grunt than the mission pork farms, on the 12met in20knots i waswow,.then it went to more 25knots and I wasout of there,a 14rise in 8knots would be a blast, Ithink., for our weight.

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Only one way to find out !!!

Signature

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

Well I’ve used my 14 RISE in ~ 8 - 15 knots & I am very happy with the performance ... I find it surreal riding (MAKO 150) in glassy conditions with the apparent wind powering me through the lulls. A visit with Ross H. ( O.R. designer) encouraged me to use the ‘slow turning’ setting in light winds. This makes the kite a lot more positive in those lulls. :mrgreen:

Signature