Sneak Peek - Ocean Rodeo New Logo!

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Crew!

Ocean Rodeo is about to make a solid push into the clothing world. That’s right, we are moving past screen printed t-shirts and sweat shirts and developing a solid line of clothing!

Expect to see a limitted run of clothing for men and women out and in shops by Spring 2008 with the full line coming for the Fall / Winter of 08. In light of this push we wanted to take a look at our logo and make it more “clothing friendly”.

Here is a sneak peak of what we are working with, thought you all would love to be the first to know! (Membership has its benifits!) You will first see this logo in use on the clothing and then in 2009 on all our gear! Hardcore Crew members will recall the font from the early days of Ocean Rodeo, updated to be a bit more current. The logo itself has tried to evoke the old “OR” logo and the colour choice reflects the deep orange we have been using with the company’s kiteboarding branding and the aqua blue we have begun to associate with the fledgling surfing side.

As always, we want / expect / appreciate your feedback!

John Z - OR

Option 1

Option 2

Option 3

Option 4

Total Posts: 53

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I was thinking the ‘new’ logo looked familiar but couldn’t figure it out until I read the text and then dug out my old Dorado (yup, that’s a while back!). The new logo is a great nod to the old OR logo and given a new look it totally brings it bang up to date. For the record I prefer the first option, clean and simple.

Total Posts: 185

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

humm, liked the old style

Use to the old logo , why to change ?
People start to finaly get use to OR and use to the logo,why changing it ....?
Think I ‘ll get use to it hihihihi
u have to make it a bit trashy hihi,
jeremie

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I think #4 seems the most dynamic of the 4.
I think its cool to keep the brand indentity evolving.
Nice job!

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Hmmm!

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

like the #1 or the 4

The # 4 could be nice but the blue shape, you could maybe make it look like a drop of water don’t you think ? The shape is almost like this already, it could represent the OCEAN !!!!
bye
jeremie

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Yeah what Jere said!

Signature

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

me again

Maybe, the Ocean in blue and rodeo in black to have kind of miror contrast with color of the logo ( speaking about the #4
jeremie

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

I definitely like the first option better.  It looks more classic.    The “R” looks like an “R”. 
In options 3 and 4, the “r” looks like a “c”.
Also, the “water drop” idea is something that should be given heavy consideration.

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

This is what I am talking about!

Total Posts: 152

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

I don,t like it at all
if you are a bank it will do
but a surf brand

i hope they come with something better

Signature

on fire

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

...actually, we are planning the release of the Ocean Rodeo Visa next year. Visa, it’s everywhere you want to be!

(Of course, I AM kidding.)

Z

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-06-21

PM

For me it has to be number 2.  I dont think that the logo lends itself to rotating without being square (currently it looks a bit wonky and i dont think on clothing it would look right). I think the logo is prefect for clothing, its simple and wonderfully understated (as long as you ship it to the UK ill be wearing it!)
However, i would change the ocean to blue and the rodeo to black instead of the way you have, i think this mirrors the badge a bit differently and makes the whole thing more balanced.  The only other thing i would say is that it maybe doesnt say ‘surfing brand’ for advertising purposes (when people see me wearing it), i think the water droplet would add this.  However, as i like design two this wouldnt work but i think you can convert the blue bit into a pretty lush looking wave type affair.  If I can have permission to fiddle with the logo i will knock up a quick pic of what i mean and post it back up.

Total Posts: 511

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

I like #4 , I think because of the ‘Pac Man’ flashbacks !!! 8)             

Signature

Big Wave Dave your one stop weather site for S. Van. Island…

Total Posts: 26

Joined 2006-01-19

PM

My pick is #4,  as I like the asymetric colour contrast of the Ocean Rodeo words against the logo picture, plus the angle of the picture logo looks cool.

I also think you should stick with the original logo as you already have a recognized brand logo/image with the public/consumer.  But, out of the four options above, my pick is #4.

Look forward to the new stuff 8)

Signature

‘08 RISE 8m/12m, Mako Pro, Mako Wide, Session Harness, Pyro, Crazyfly skimboard

Total Posts: 86

Joined 2006-03-03

PM

I like the old logo so I vote for the old (current) one, the cynic in me saiz “updating” a logo is little more than a coup for the advertising folks. On reflection perhaps it’s because I am on the wrong side of 40 and a bit resistent to change.

Lester

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Guys!

Love this banter.

I’ll post here in a couple day’s a few more current versions of the logo we have been working with in terms of possible applications on clothing labels and etc. I am sure you will like it.

For all the neigh sayers out there who want us to avoid confusion by staying the same, well, the good news is this new logo will be rolled out on the clothing first - where we have no brand recognition - and will be slowly incorperated into the gear over roughly 2 years. I think this will give plenty of time for the transition to occur!

JZ

Total Posts: 61

Joined 2006-10-13

PM

Yeah, that looks a bit more serious and solid! and i also agree that the logo needs to stay horizontal to keep it as ‘O’ and ‘r’ - i would have gone with 2 but i definitely like this new one more.

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

I second Blair’s last comment, the current crew type logos are amazing!

Dont wanna upset you guys as you seem to have decided what route your taking, just my little opinion.

Ben

Signature

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Jangle, come one my man - you don’t like the way the kites look? The boards? We got nothing but love for the gear this year. Just wait till you see what we have done for 2008! I will put photos of the new kites and boards up here in 1 week’s time.

Just you wait!

New logo is currently only being used on the clothing. (I might have mentioned this before? smile ) It will make a slow transition to the hardgoods as we see fit.

Stoked to roll out the 08 gear next week at the Nitinaht Lake Crew Event! Get ready to be shocked!

JZ

Total Posts: 120

Joined 2006-01-20

PM

Current logo for me as well.

Signature

Its all about the adventure and stoke!

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

:? personally not super keen on any of them.

S’pose Option 4 is the best of the bunch for me BUT I still like the old one.

Perhaps with a bit of an update? I used to work for a large company who spent a fortune rebranding themsleves only realise that no one knew who they were anymore. Spent even more money going back to the old logos etc.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

1 week John! The clock is ticking! I cannot wait to see the new stuff!

Demos sent to the UK asap please!

Signature

Total Posts: 143

Joined 2006-04-18

PM

First - the current logo rocks!  Graphically it captures the toughness, the and singularity of this brand.  Maybe I’ll just spring for a life time supply of 2008 gear before you make the change.  And I’ll add, I love the look of the current kites…

Of the options - I think number one may be the best.  Some of the others are little too “Flysurfer-esque”.

http://www.flysurfer.com/

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

I know the one you are talking about…that was the Orrigional One Kite and, I agree, it was very nice and clean and sharp looking. You know what, that kite is still kicking it - Ross just modified it to try some stuff out for 2008!

New 2008 gear will be officially launched September 1 but expect to see photos up here end of next week after the Crew Event. I hope / expect that you will be stoked on the direction we have taken the 08 gear’s look - much more technical and clean.

JZ

Total Posts: 2

Joined 2006-02-25

PM

New Logo

Hi Folks! The very first one - the option 1 - of the logos is the most apealing one for garments!

Best & C´ya

Gerd

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2008-09-04

PM

You know I love everything you guys do, but…I much prefer the current logo.  Unless you’re really looking for an “O” and an “R”, I think it’s hard to distinguish in the new version.

I think the new version will look great on clothing, but wonder if you’re losing some leverage from the “hard goods” brand by differentiating the logos for the “soft goods” market?

See you at Nitinat!

PS.  All this Top Secret build-up stuff better be good!!

Total Posts: 48

Joined 2006-04-21

PM

I think the old is better than the new.  Keep designing, the 4 you have are too similar.  I like the west coast rustic, CND theme.  Those 4 look french to me.

Later

Signature

Shaun

Total Posts: 349

Joined 2007-01-03

PM

the second 2 look too much lik ethe flysurfer logo i think.

Signature

Tech Rep, Southern UK.

8,12 Diablo
10m rise
zen 129x39
LF Mission with Ronix Scouts
custom wakeskate
Strapless 5"ll

Total Posts: 446

Joined 2006-10-24

PM

Just seen the photos of the 2008 RISE on Kiteforum.

Absolutley Stunning kite.

I’ll say again. No need to change.

Signature

The only kiter in the Village

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Well, the Crew has spoken. We will see where things head but it is likely that the new logo will be used only for the clothing while the current logo is likely to continue on the hard goods….

Total Posts: 84

Joined 2008-09-04

PM

While it’s flattering to be asked our opinions, the opinions that matter most will be those of the WOMEN who make 90% of the clothing purchases out there.  For their man or for themselves, it’s the ladies making the decisions!

Total Posts: 51

Joined 2006-05-24

PM

# 2 caught my eye at 1st glance.I like the idea of moving on to new and better things, just like the kites and gear.We don’t want to stay static.  :idea:

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

Hey John Z. and others.  Not sure if you are still taking comments on this logo thing but my thoughts are that it would be nice to see something a bit more edgy and not a logo that would look good sitting next to my 1985 lime green osterizer blender.  It still makes a hell of a margarita but gets ridiculed everytime I pull it out.  Just feel all those logo attempts reek of clean cut corporate design.  I’m not saying the answer is all skulls and fire but for example what you did with the logo for the 07 diablo wingtips is great.  Why not carry that sort of up to date progression on?  Just my thoughts.

Total Posts: 3

Joined 2007-05-09

PM

Hey John.  I’m leaning toward what Wadem is saying.  Unfortunately this sport is a lot about image.  I am super stoked and proud to ride your gear.  There have been times where I have been the only guy on the water on my ONE kite and no matter what will continue riding OR.  In the same breath colours and logos make a statement.  The logo on the RISE kite is totaly on track with the route this sport is taking.  I think the current logo is very good how about chaning the font of the writing under it and maybe tweak that logo a bit.  The logo choices that are in this pole do feel a little dated to me as well as the colour.  No offence to those who designed them. Believe me I know how difficult it is to design a logo that works.

Total Posts: 17

Joined 2006-01-16

PM

I agree with James160 that you nailed the Rise logo, though logo appeal will always be a very subjective thing. #4 caught my eye for the OR logo,  but I really like the West coast art/organic influence that speaks of OR’s Island roots. It would be great to see the OR logo have this west coast “feeling” rather than a logo that, while catchy, gets lost in the mix of other similar looking logos from other companies.  Kiteboarding is a visually interesting and incredibly dynamic/flowing sport with a flying natural canvas for graphic design ideas.  A company that really seems to have their finger on the pulse of creativity and interesting graphic design is Sitka surfboards/clothing here in Victoria. They’ve made both abstract as well as straight forward designs incorporating west coast themes into hip works of wearable art. Personally, I think the basic (and slightly boring) geometric patterns on so many kites is a bit stale. I understand that the logo and kite graphic designs need to have universal recognition and appeal, but again, how about something that reflects OR’s unique roots? As James says, it’s a really tough job designing logos and graphics that work and have a broad appeal, and you guys are doing well so far. There is, however, some definate potential for great graphic design work to match Ross’s engineering works of art!
-Chris

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2007-08-22

PM

John,

for the <3 of all things holy, make that font thicker if you ever wanna have diecuts made with that logo….cringed when I looked at that font. On the plus side, no barb wire knockouts to navigate.

Personally, I don’t feel that any of them represent your hard goods quality and commitment to cutting edge innovation. I think they’ll look great on a $50 bikini or that $40 top.

More Billabong than Grenade if that’s your route.

Get that package yet?

Cheers,

Pasha

Signature

insert something funny here!

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Got the package Pasha - thank-you.

Crew! - Talk to your local shops if you want some amazing die cut stickers, we just got a whack job of them in from Grindstone!

Officially we will be staying with the current logo for all hard goods for the foreseeable future. Soft goods will have a soft launch at Surf Expo this year and will ship March 2008.

Check them out!

John Z

Total Posts: 9

Joined 2007-08-28

PM

NUMBER 4!!

Number 4 is the best!! GO 4!

Total Posts: 1

Joined 2007-09-12

PM

logo colors

your colors look too much like Flysurfer