Getting an OR Kite: Which one?

Total Posts: 6

Joined 2007-08-22

PM

Unfortunately, I have to solo drift launch more often than not if I’m getting a session in. Keeping this in mind, any recomendations or tips on accomplishing this?

Cheers,

Pasha

Signature

insert something funny here!

Total Posts: 467

Joined 2006-06-15

PM

With no weight or wind strength it not possible to give a size, but for easy launch and recovery I would say the Rise is the way to go

Total Posts: 1248

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Agreed.

Total Posts: 8

Joined 2007-06-26

PM

I have both the 12m ONE and 12m rise.    I found that the rise appears to be smaller and much easier to handle.  It also has 5 struts versus the ONE’s 7 struts, making the kite lighter. 
The RISE seems to be the way to go.

Joined 2007-08-22

PM

Cool, thanks for the help.

I weigh 200# (90 kilo?) and generally ride in conditions from 15-30, mostly in the 15-22 range.

Any tips on drift launching the Rise? Think side shore or slightly side on with no room for a standard launch.

Cheers,

Pasha

Signature

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

Aye,
would that be Lake P O?
Tricky spot! Trees right up to the water and big rocks.

Joined 2007-08-22

PM

Thats it, Craig.

I can give up any launch beta I’ve accrued if you’re coming back this way.

Back on topic, ordered the 12m Rise.

Can’t wait to fly it.

Signature

Joined 2007-08-22

PM

OK, couple big boxes of gear just showed up.  So stoked.

First Impressions:

Forget the kiteboarding world, is there any company in any outdoor industry that makes quality gear to the standard of OR? Amazing stuff.

Where the hell is my pump? Gonna suck pumping up my pretty OR kite with this ugly old WristRocket pump….

How about a manual for the Rise or the SLE bar? I’ll go online and download one.  Shit, links broken.

HELP PLEASE, I’m ready to go fly it now!!!!

The Zen board is so pretty, I didn’t even want to put my footpads on it and cover the art. Light too, only weighs 4 pounds (1.8 kilos) with my Martin M1’s on it, would be lighter with standard straps.

The ColdFire gear is so awesome, I can’t wait for it to get cold again….well, maybe I can. Nice packaging for the retailers out there too.

So what’s up with this 12m Rise/SLE bar combo? Fly it with the extension lines? Only the one safety connection point on the chicken loop attachment? Is there a second safety somewhere that attaches above the bar to the center lines? 

Advice please, supposed to be windy all weekend.

Cheers,

Pasha

Signature

Total Posts: 574

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

Hi Pasha

I too didn’t receive an instruction manual with my 12m Rise nor my SLE bar. But no worries as you can get all the info you need from the support pages on the OR website. (The bridle set up for the Rise is the same as that for the One.)

I have not removed the line extensions.

As for attaching the safety leash just clip it to the plastic loop at the end of the de-power or trim line. When you eject it will pull the trim line out of the cleat and the kite will de-power and fall out of the sky. Re-launch is easy.

You can also attach the trim line to the metal ring on the chicken loop. When you eject the kite will fly off the front lines but will have a little pull before it falls. Re-launch is easy.

Of course you can buy a longer leash and attach it to one of the front lines. This way when you eject the kite will flag out powerless but you can’t re-ride and so it’d be back to the beach to sort everything out!

Remember to pump the kite up drum hard. She likes to be rock hard!

Can’t help you with regard to the pump. Try a few pints of ‘Pedigree’ bitter the night before topped off by a strong curry-always guarantees plenty of wind in the morning this end!  LOL

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Joined 2007-08-22

PM

Andy, thanks. Pretty much what I thought regarding leash setup but I wanted to confirm it before I blindtested it.

Heading to the river now, cheers.

Pasha

Signature