I believe….

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

I love c kites.  Ridden ‘em for like 7 years, fifth line and all.  Tried a few different types of bows/sle’s and really didn’t care for them for a number of reasons.  Swore I would never get off c’s until they stopped making them…..until today. 

Got some wind and a local rep, Mark, was at the beach with an 8, 10, 12 quiver of rises all shiny and new.  I rarely use a wind meter and always use visual cues to pick kite size and today I would likely have been on the trusty 14 diablo but these kites were demo kites sent from JZ so I figured what the hell, if they end up in a tree it’s on John right???

Anyway, launched the kite and immediately had to depower it cause of the amount of wind it held.  Bottom end on these things compared to the Diablos is crazy, no comparison.  Went out and had one of the funnest rides I have had in a very long time.  Not that my other rides weren’t fun, just today was a different kite, different experience, fun in that sense.  Jumps…..huge.  One of the biggest jumps I have ever had today.  I could put a number on here for what I felt height was but if Mark reads this I will let him do it instead that way it will be unbiased, then I’ll correct it :D

Kite is super stable, easily predicted and responsive.  Nothing really that hasn’t been posted before.  I rode the 12 way past it’s intended wind range and was able to hold it regardless.  A check of what the wind was doing when I was on the water from EC later on showed winds of 35km/hr gusting to 45km/hr.  I could have held it in this, not super comfortable but not super out of control either, but I wasn’t super cozy with how all the safety stuff worked so decided to come in and switch kites. 

The 10 was out with someone else so I took the 8 kinda not expecting to have enough power to have alot of fun but I was wrong.  The 8 had a shitload of power in it as well, jumps were good just dropped a bit faster given the range of the gusts.  Rode that for awhile and then came in and grabbed the 10.  Same deal with the 10 as far as characteristics go. 

Wind being gusty combined with not being used to the kite safety systems I didn’t hava a chance to unhook and see how it performs that way which is too bad since most of my riding is unhooked but I really can’t see it being a problem, just a matter of setting the stopper and given ‘er. 

Now for the things I didn’t enjoy.  Not surprisingly there is nothing to complain about as far as the kite goes.  The bar sheeting system being below the bar just off the chicken loop is, in my opinion, a pain, especially when powered up.  You can’t just pull on it and achieve depower, you basically have to carve toward the kite to adjust it.  Really don’t like that for a couple reasons but mostly I just think it is unsafe.  I realize you could just set the stopper so you can depower that way but I don’t like much throw in my system to begin with and having the bar ride out far enough that you can just fingertip it is uncomfortable and puts your stance in a really awkward position. 

Anyway, to wrap up.  My diablos have a pretty good life to go still so I won’t be buying a new quiver this year but when they are on their deathbed I will defintiely be giving the rises a solid look.  Just need to see what they are like unhooked but if they perform as well as I think they will… the devil will be gone.  Kinda sad. 

Biggest problem now will be figuring out if I can get away with a 12, 8 combo or go with a 14, 10.  I really like small kites so hoping the 12, 8 will work. 

Long post, thanks for reading. 

Later.

Total Posts: 626

Joined 2006-03-24

PM

I believe the new 08’ bridle on my 07’ 14m Rise just created a whole new kite for me!
Incredible man, I am in shock!
How did I go so long with out this mod?
The bar pressure, response to input and de-power is the best of any kite I’ve flown yet. Super smooth too.
Awesome job Ross!

Total Posts: 44

Joined 2006-11-12

PM

To carry on from wadem?s post that started this thread?

First let’s deal with that incredible sky-high skaha (penticton) 12m risev jump in question? it was the highest jump any of us had ever seen at that beach (anywhere for me)....it was not only len10 high but at the apex there was an extended time of pure weightlessness-float time-where you began to wonder whether the laws of physics were being suspended, just for a few moments.  A totally valid moment!  scary high is very high no need to squabble over a number eh! 
So that was the beginning of a great session, in a perfect wind from 30 up to 45 km at times, a small crew of experienced kiters had a total blast on the risev’s.  The 8, 10 and 12 were all out at the same time with similar weighted riders—a testament to the range and power of the kites.  Preference was usually still weight dependent, I (145) would ride an 8 in that wind and on this day it was on 21m lines, many preferred the 10 at 180-90lbs and the 12 probably over 200 and/or on 21m lines,  regardless it was at least a kite size lower than normal for all those trying them. 
An experienced kiter who had not ridden any new, bridled, or SLE kites asked what he should do different with the rise,  ?just ride it don?t change anything?, I suggested?from the instant it was launched he smiled, and loved the kite. The smooth stability of these Vkites is incredible when you first feel it. 
The biggest surprise I think was the fun you could have on a 8m kite in that wind at 180lbs and the height you could get on a 12? one right after the other, and then of course you could spend the rest of the day on the 10, and they did.

Signature

Total Posts: 473

Joined 2006-07-15

PM

Great post, cheers guys.

Ben

Signature

http://www.oceanrodeokites.co.uk

RIPPING UP THE OCEAN RODEO GEAR IN THE UK!!!!

Total Posts: 573

Joined 2006-10-06

PM

:D Well impressed with this and all other post/kite write-ups i’ve read over this windless weekend. Mainly on this forum and all from ‘honest Joe’s’.
Inclined to cancel my magazine subscriptions-don’t need any other kites and why want anything else now that the Rise is on the scene-apart from my 7m One that is!
Also convinced that the Mako Pro is the way to go. Got to convince the good lady who puts up wiv such a lot to let me buy one now :!: Any bright suggestions :?:

Signature

andy

Dorset UK

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Re: I believe….

[quote author=“wadem”]I would likely have been on the trusty 14 diablo but these kites were demo kites sent from JZ so I figured what the hell, if they end up in a tree it’s on John right???

What a great posting Mike…this is better put together than any email you’ve ever sent me!  smile

JZ

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc

Total Posts: 78

Joined 2006-01-09

PM

You must not have got the 2girls1cup e-mail I just sent out…..or maybe you did. :shock:

Total Posts: 1247

Joined 2006-01-10

PM

Yeah, not bueno.

smile

Signature

John A. Zimmerman
Sales & Marketing Manager
Ocean Rodeo Sports Inc